Sarah Ferguson allegedly took refuge in a £13,000-a-day wellness clinic in Switzerland as details emerged about the closeness of her relationship with Jeffrey Epstein.

The former Duchess of York was dropped by her charities after emails from the Epstein Files showed her referred to the convicted paedophile as a “supreme friend”.

Other pleading messages saw her compliment him as “the brother I always wanted”, even gushing “just marry me” while asking for work.

As readers pored over headlines about Fergie and her ex-husband Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s links with Epstein, she is understood to have checked into the Paracelsus Recovery centre in Zurich last December.

One insider told The Daily Mail that Fergie was at “her most vulnerable” when she took shelter at the Paracelsus, which boasts a chef and a chauffeur.

The clinic charges £23,000 for a three-day comprehensive health assessment, while a seven-day detox session fetches for upwards of £115,000.

The ex-duchess has not been seen publicly since the baptism of her granddaughter Athena on December 12 at St James’ Palace.

Other revelations from the Epstein Files show Sarah visited the convicted felon just says after his release from prison, accompanied by her daughters Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, then aged 20 and 19.

Paracelsus’ website states its wealthy clients can expect “privacy, exclusivity, and personalised care you are accustomed to” when staying at the luxury institution.

Fergie has previously attended the clinic before and appeared in a promotional video alongside founder Jan Gerber.

Writing on Facebook, she stated that Paracelsus offered “clinical excellence in a place of deep humanity”.

A friend of Sarah’s in Switzerland is reported to have told media she is “crushed” by the latest events arising from the Epstein Files.

Although Fergie’s current whereabouts are unknown but she is believed to be “laying low” in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) while damaging headlines continue to appear.

Historian Andrew Lownie said that while Fergie and her ex-husband’s reputations are permanently damaged in the UK, there are figures in the Middle East who would happy to finance the pair’s lifestyles.

He added that in that part of the world, the ex-couple would continue to be seen as royals even after the loss of their titles.

A number of unmarked cars and vans, believed to be police vehicles, were seen leaving Royal Lodge in Windsor at just after 4.20pm on Friday, after police spent a full day searching Andrew’s former home.

The Government is “not ruling anything out” when it comes to the prospect of legally removing Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor from the line of succession, a minister has said.

Chief Secretary to the Treasury James Murray told Sky News: “The government is considering any further steps that might be required, and we’re not ruling anything out.

“But at this stage, would be inappropriate for us to go any further because there is a live police investigation under way.”